13 Songs That Describe What it Means to Be a Manager
December 10, 2018
Being a manager is a tough job.
You want to get the most out of your people. You want your team to hit its goals. And it would be nice to also, you know, spend some small sliver of your day not thinking about work.
But it can all be overwhelming.
Well, we here at LinkedIn Learning have hundreds of courses to help you work through some of biggest challenges all managers face. But sometimes, sometimes before you learn, you just need to know you aren’t alone
And that’s where this post comes in. Because we are 99 percent certain the songs in this article are actually all about being a manager – so know that Cher has been there, too.
1. When you post an open role on your team.
Hiring the right people is such a big part of managing. So, every time you post an open role on your team, you aren’t just looking for the good.
You are looking for the great. Dare I say, the heroic.
2. When your team is running multiple high-profile projects at once.
It’s great when your team gets to work on a high-profile project. It’s even better when your team is working on multiple high-profile projects at once – what a chance to shine!
At the same time, that comes with some pressure as well. But don’t worry; we believe in you.
And so does Freddie Mercury.
3. When your best employee leaves the team.
On one hand, you feel good for them, as hopefully it’s for a better opportunity.
But, on the other hand, you’ll miss them. It’s okay, take a minute and acknowledge the pain.
4. When you want to connect with an employee, but they are keeping their guard up.
You want to connect with a new employee. But maybe they aren’t quite ready to let their guard down just yet.
It’s okay, it’ll happen eventually, we promise.
5. When someone unfairly criticizes one of your employees.
Pitch Perfect – one of the few cinematic masterpieces of our time – is the epic drama about a motley crew of girls who, at first, have their own fiefdoms and don’t collaborate well. But, after going through a lot, they come together to gel as a unified team.
Sound like your team? Then this is the collaboration for you.
8. When you make a mistake managing an employee and instantly regret it.
Had a night where you couldn’t sleep because you said the wrong thing?
Well, you aren’t alone. Every manager has been there. Just crank up the Cher and know it'll all work out.
9. When you are dealing with an employee problem you don't know how to solve.
All managers need help sometimes. We hope LinkedIn Learning can occasionally provide it :).
10. When an employee continues to struggle – but you still believe in them.
Maybe they are inexperienced, maybe they have low confidence, maybe they need to learn some new skills.
But you know they have the ability to do the role – and just want them to work with you, so they can prove it to the world.
11. When your team crushes its goals.
Your goals obviously can't hold you — and nor can the ceiling.
12. When you see your coaching pay off as one of your employees is developing nicely.
Let out those tears of pride. You’ve earned it.
13. When one of your employees says “thank you.” And means it.
This doesn’t happen often. But, when it does, dang does it feels good.
*Image from Egghead06, Wikipedia Commons
Looking to sharpen your management skills? These LinkedIn Learning courses can help:
- Coaching for Results
- Lead Like a Boss
- Management Tips Weekly
- Leading With Purpose
- Coaching Employees Through Difficult Situations