These Are the Fastest Growing Skills at America’s Top Companies
April 8, 2019
Would you like to work for one of the top companies in America?
A step back. This month, LinkedIn published its Top Companies list, which revealed the companies people most want to work for right now based on billions of actions from LinkedIn members.
As part of its post this year, LinkedIn also included the fastest growing skills at these companies, which we’ve linked to LinkedIn Learning courses that teach them.
Will learning these skills automatically land you get a job at one of these top companies? Of course not. But it’ll definitely help, as these are the skills the top American companies are investing in right now.
- Global headcount: 98,800
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Seattle
- Fastest-growing skills: Data Structures, R, Matlab
- Global headcount: 36,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, Seattle, New York City
- Fastest-growing skills: Data Structures, Pattern Recognition, R
- Global headcount: 250,000
- Top U.S. locations: Seattle, San Francisco, New York City
- Fastest-growing skills: Solution Architecture, AWS, Data Structures
- Global headcount: 22,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, Indianapolis, New York City
- Fastest-growing skills: Data Analysis, Cold Calling, Sales Management
- Global headcount: 84,900
- Top U.S. locations: New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago
- Fastest-growing skills: Python, Adobe Photoshop, Troubleshooting
- Global headcount: 10,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, New York City, Chicago
- Fastest-growing skills: jQuery, R, Cloud Computing
- Global headcount: 132,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, New York City, Austin
- Fastest-growing skills: Matlab, Machine Learning, Python
- Global headcount: 3,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, Portland, New York City
- Fastest-growing skills: Adobe InDesign CC, Agile Methodologies, User Experience Design
- Global headcount: 137,000
- Top U.S. locations: San Francisco, Boston, Denver
- Fastest-growing skills: NetSuite, Oracle Cloud, Python
10. Dell Technologies
- Global headcount: 145,000
- Top U.S. locations: Austin, Boston, San Francisco
- Fastest-growing skills: Data Analysis, HTML, Recruiting
3 Takeaways From the Fastest Growing Skills at America's Top Companies
Three things jumped out for us, looking at this list:
Data is king.
Analyzing data is the dominant skill on the list. Look no further than the top company on the list, Alphabet, as an example: data structures and R – a programming language used in data science – are the two fastest growing skills there. We see this trend with Facebook, Dell and others as well.
Hey, man, jump onto that cloud.
Cloud is the hard skill companies need most in 2019 overall. And you see it appear again and again on this list – Oracle, Amazon and Uber are all investing in people with cloud computing skills.
Top companies are abound in San Francisco and New York City.
Of the ten top companies in the list, nine have a large presence in or around San Francisco. The top eight all have a large presence in New York City.
Many of these companies have offices in other parts of the country as well. But, if you are hungry to land a job at one of these top companies, two things will help your chances: learning some of the listed fastest growing skills and considering looking in San Francisco or New York City.
Looking to land a job at one of the top companies in America? Along with learning the fastest growing skills mentioned above, these LinkedIn Learning courses can help: